Enrolled Agents

Are You Wondering What an Enrolled Agent Is?

Enrolled Agents are professional tax practitioners who are enrolled to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service.  They are licensed to assist taxpayers with tax planning, preparation, and representation.

There are only two ways to earn the designation “Enrolled Agent.”  Once a year, the Internal Revenue Service gives a very difficult two-day examination covering all aspects of taxation, including procedures and ethics.  Traditionally, fewer than one-third of all applicants pass the examination, allowing them to apply for enrollment (the application process includes a thorough background investigation).

The other way to become an Enrolled Agent is to be employed by the IRS for a minimum of five years, regularly applying and interpreting the provisions of the Internal Revenue Code and regulations.  Following enrollment, EAs must maintain a stringent annual schedule of professional education in the field of taxation.

EAs are the only practitioners who are required to demonstrate competence specifically in matters of taxation.  They are the only taxpayer representatives who receive that right from the U.S. government, rather than from individual states. They can therefore work with individuals and owners of small businesses in all 50 states.  CPAs are licensed state by state. 

With tax regulations becoming more convoluted and confusing each time they are “simplified,” and with the enormous changes in tax law and differences between state and federal taxes, this is a good time to review your tax situation, and there’s nobody better than an Enrolled Agent–the taxpayers’ tax expert–to help you!

Complimentary Consultation

Got tax issues?  Give us a call or email us to set up your consultation today.